e-Governance Initiative for Government of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
e-Governance means getting automated. However the government of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa has taken a broader view of the concept and is planning to use technology as a mean of providing public with a central point of access to government services and not merely as getting the several departments of government automated so that they act like isolated islands of information and services. E-government is synonymous with what government itself is about – orchestrating and sometimes leading the creation of public value by putting individuals, families and communities at the center of responsive networks of knowledge, service, trust and accountability.
E-Government includes the capacity and the willingness of the public sector to deploy information and communication technologies (ICT) such as Wide Area Networks, the Internet, and mobile computing, for improving knowledge and information in the service of the citizens.
Of the many intended impacts of e-Government the three most important are as follows:
- Better delivery of government services to citizens
- Improved interactions with business and industry
- Citizen empowerment through access to information.
Capital Cost of the Project: Rs. 23.375 Million & 38.293 Million ( Revised 129.896 Million )
Approval Forum and Date: DDWP Dated: 23-11-2005 & 19-11-2008(Rev: PDWP 18-11-2011)
The Project was initiated with the aim to automation of Taxation System of Excise and Taxation Department in all districts of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, which will help in providing better services to citizens and will also make their functions efficient, smooth and transparent.
Property Tax Record has been automated in all districts of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and is generating a lot of revenue for the government through this computerization
Similarly, few additional components that need to be automated & integrated with the current system that will further make the system more efficient, transparent & effective i.e. the Computerization of Professional Tax Module and Integration of GIS with existing Automated System of Property Tax also the confiscated vehicles and Court case tracking module and archiving of record room (Private & Commercial vehicles)
Computerization of Property Tex Record
- To improve the Property Tax/Professional Tax procedures, for example, by eliminating redundant processes in the registration and collection of taxation system.
- To improve the quality of management information provided for senior policy decision-making, particularly through integration of previously separate information systems.
- Computerization of activities, administration and support services across the districts.
- To provide extensive training on the new environment to the end users as well as support staff. It will reduce time, cost enhance efficiency of existing staff.
- The project will facilitate faster exchange of critical information between various departments in the government sector, substantially reducing the amount of paperwork / men hours that the department personnel have to handle i.e. sharing of information with Finance Department, Government Treasurer, NAB, Judicial Courts etc.
- The “centralized database” will enable Excise & Taxation Department to streamline workflow which will result in higher efficiency and better data management. The software application shall facilitate the concerned personnel to interact with the system in easy English language.
- To introduce the concept of e-governance as per policy of the Provincial Government.
- To introduce new & more effective management tools that will enable this project to modernize the Excise & Taxation Department to meet the challenges of an ever changing society.
Traffic Control System & Traffic FM
Start Date: December 2012 End Date: June 2016 Approved Cost: Rs. 110 Millions
The Traffic Control and Monitoring System is aim to give better services to the citizen of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. After implementation of the said system Peshawar traffic will be monitor through latest IP based camera. All the chowks / Square traffic signals will be computerized and take decision according to the load of traffic. All the Chowks / Square will be Synchronized which ensure Maximum traffic Flow. Tracker system will be installed at each police van through which the position of a van can be seen and moved at any place easily.
The Objectives of the Traffic Control System is
- Traffic Monitoring System through IP camera.
- Establishment of Fiber Optic Network or lease line from Telecommunication Company for IP based camera connectivity.
- Establishment of Control Room at Traffic Police Headquarter For Traffic Monitoring.
- Establishment of server Room for Traffic Management System for Ticketing System.
- Establishment of Proper Document cell.
- Tracking System for Traffic Vehicles.
- Security System.
- Installation of Local Area Network with provision of hardware required for operation of the proposed applications.
- Detail of all tickets/challan will be available on one click
Automation of Food Department
Start Date: January 2012 End Date: June 2015 Approved Cost: Rs. 48.1046 Millions
The Project was initiated with the aim to electronically connect the Food Department and the remote offices in different Districts, to speed up the processing of data in efficient manner and to help the upper management in decision making via daily, weekly, fortnightly, monthly and yearly reports. Also, the system will be more transparent and error free and a paperless environment will be introduced in the Food Department. Through this automation one can anytime & any-where can avail and share-ability of accurate food related data to aid the Decision Makers and Planners of Food Security. It has IT infrastructure including computer hardware and networking in the Food Department, which involves procurement and installation of suitable hardware at all the identified depots. Including Identification of functional areas in the Food Regional Office, District office and automating the process of food grains management. It has developed a computer-based solution to manage the stocks in the Food Storage Depots across the province.
- Anytime & Any-where availability and share-ability of accurate food related data to aid the Decision Makers and Planners of Food Security.
- Creation of IT infrastructure including computer hardware and networking in the Food Department, which involves procurement and installation of suitable hardware at all the identified depots.
- Identification of functional areas in the Food Regional Office, District office and automating the process of food grains management.
- Develop a computer-based solution to manage the stocks in the Food Storage Depots across the province.
- Transparency in the horizontal and vertical movement of the data using a secure network.
e-Enablement of Special Branch
Special branch is a huge intelligence established of Provisional Govt. and having more than sixteen section/units, apart from field units in each district.
Before automation of special branch there was lot of problems in the manual system like Keeping of records of each section was too much difficult. It required more efforts and physical space to keep track of information and to keep details secure. Special branch being an intelligence organization always needs various types of reports regarding all sections in the old system it was too much difficult to retrieve reliable information in time and retrieval of data was very slow as it has to be searched in huge data repository. Loss of record books/registers would have resulted in loss of important data completely. The Risk of errors was greater and duplication of data entry always at doubt.
The above information indicates the needs of a proper and integrated automation management for Special Branch which efficiently fulfils the above mentioned gaps. The EESBP is an automation project started from 1 Jan 2012 till 31 March 2016 under the supervision of Directorate of Information Technology, Khyber Pukhtunkhwa.
- To develop a centralized data bank which is accessible thorough the province (remote offices) and all sections of the Head Quarter (HQ).
- Keeping of records is too much easy and user friendly.
- Proper flow of data for each section.
- It takes less efforts and less physical space, as data is being kept on a centralized server.
- Reports regarding any section can easily be generated in no time.
- Retrieval of data is very fast, searched take no time as the data is placed in a centralized location.
- Higher officials directly can access the system via their user name and password.
- Less security issues as the data can be accessed against a specific user and password.
- Backup procedure in case of database crash to avoid of loss of data.
- Risk of errors is much less than in old system.
- Various validations applied to less the human typing errors.
- Consistency in data entry.
ICT Infrastructure for Government of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
IT operations are a crucial aspect of most government and private organizations operations. One of the main concerns is operations continuity; organizations rely on their information systems to run their operations. If a system becomes unavailable, operations may be impaired or stopped completely. It is necessary to provide a reliable infrastructure for IT operations, in order to minimize any chance of disruption. Information security is also a concern, and for this reason an IT Infrastructure is required as CIVIL Secretariat which will offer a secure environment which will minimize the chances of a security breach. There is a need for the establishment of such an IT infrastructure which could keep high standards for assuring the integrity and functionality of its hosted computer environment i.e. Data Center. Unless this basic infrastructure is available at all Provincial government offices they cannot improve productivity and provide services to citizens efficiently.
Objectives of the ICT infrastructure is
- Centralized repository of Data, Information & Services
- Online availability of Data, Information & Services
- Standardization of ICT related applications
- Access to government services for general public
- Data Security, Data Integrity and Reliability
- Establishment of network Infrastructure connecting all the departments at the Civil Secretariat using optical fiber as the backbone
- Video Conferencing support
- Providing e-mail services, Web hosting & Internet Services.